BQT Set Up Supervisor
Responsible for the supervision of Banquet functions, in accordance with hotel standards and local laws. Directs, implements and maintains The Grand America Hotel service philosophy, which serves as a guide to respective staff regarding the delivery of food and beverage. Assist with the development, maintenance, review of cost and control opportunities regarding the sale of food and beverages.
Internal: Beverage Department, Catering and Sales, Convention Services and Concierges, Gibson Lounge, Fine Dining Room, Lobby Bar, Garden Cafe, Room Service, Stewarding, Banquet Kitchen, Main Kitchen, Storeroom, Purchasing, Accounting, Human Resource, F&B, Front Desk, Housekeeping, Executive Offices, Retail and Engineering Staffs.
External: Hotel and Outlet Guests, Visitors, Suppliers and Supplier Representatives
- High School graduate.
- Minimum 21 years of age to serve alcohol beverages.
- Minimum 1-year experience in a Supervisory role.
- Food handling certificate.
- Knowledge of various food service standards.
- Ability to satisfactorily communicate in English with guests, management and co-workers to their understanding.
- Ability to provide legible communication.
- Ability to compute basic mathematical calculations.
- Familiarity with computers.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Ensure the correct preparation and presentation of a consistent level for all banquet meetings and functions
- Check and coordinate details of each function.
- Organize and delegate the preparation of all banquet functions.
- Prepare and post employee work schedules to reflect operating forecasts and to keep within budgeted figures. The ability to prepare a daily payroll report.
- Hire, train, discipline, supervise and organize all banquet server and set-up personnel on a regular basis.
- Treat employees at every level of responsibilities fairly and consistently to achieve high morale and minimum turnover.
- Complete and provide performance evaluations for all banquet employees making recommendations for salary increases as warranted.
- Review and verify food for banquets following the specified standards indicated on individual function sheets.
- Develop and ensure a safe working environment for people to work.
- Set up control systems, which will assure quality and consistency.
- Coordinate with the Food and Beverage Director, the Executive Assistant Manger and the Director of Catering any special functions regarding room preparation and presentation, including additional costs and staffing requirements.
- Hold regular meetings with the banquet staff as well as attend and participate in all required meetings.
- Maintain a consistently high level of employee morale and motivation.
- Communicate effectively with the kitchen, stewarding, pastry shop and the food storeroom.
- Perform other tasks or projects as assigned by hotel management and staff.
- Be certified in food service sanitation.
- Maintain complete knowledge of:
- All liquor brands, beers and non-alcohol selections available to Banquets.
- Designated glassware and garnishes for drinks.
- All menu items, preparation method/time, ingredients, sauce, portion sizes, garnish, presentation and prices.
- 86’d items/wines.
- Banquet room layouts, proper table set-ups, room capacity, hours of operation, price range and dress code.
- P.O.S. and manual system procedures.
- Daily house count, arrivals/departures, V.I.P.’s
- Scheduled in-house group activities, locations and times.
- Correct maintenance and use of equipment.
- All department policies/services procedures.
- Maintain complete knowledge and strictly abide by state liquor regulations, particularly those prohibiting service to minors, intoxicated persons and drunk driving.
- Check storage areas for proper supplies, organization and cleanliness. Instruct designated personnel to rectify any cleanliness/organization deficiencies.
- Ensure that transfer slips and spill sheets are filled out and distributed in accordance with departmental standards.
- Inspect Audio Visual set-ups to ensure that everything that has been ordered is ready.
- Inspect quality and amounts of garnishes, ensuring agreement to departmental standards.
- Inspect bar set-ups; check for cleanliness, neatness and agreement to departmental standards; rectify deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Meet with the Chef to review daily specials, and discuss with banquets staff.
- Conduct pre-shift meeting with staff and review all information pertinent to banquet issues and the day’s business.
- Inspect grooming and attire of staff; rectify any deficiencies.
- Constantly monitor staff performance in all phases of service and job functions, ensuring that all procedures are carried out to departmental standards; rectify any deficiencies with respective personnel.
- Monitor guest reactions and confer frequently with service staff to ensure guest satisfaction.
- Answer phone within 3 rings, using correct salutations and telephone etiquette.
- Anticipate guests’ needs, respond promptly and acknowledge all guest, however busy and whatever time of day. Promote positive guest relations at all times.
- Be familiar with all hotel services/features and local attractions/activities to respond accurately to any quest inquiry.
- Monitor and handle guest complaints by following specific procedures, as necessary to ensure department standards.
- Monitor and handle problems with intoxicated guests and / or altercations.
- Check the status of all orders and ensure that they are prepared and delivered within designated timelines in accordance with departmental standards.
- Ensure all closing duties for staff is completed before staffs sign out.
- Provide feedback to staff on their performance. Handle disciplinary problems and counsel employees according to hotel standards.
- Complete work orders for maintenance repairs and submit to Engineering. Contact Engineering directly for urgent repairs.
- Document pertinent information in department logbook.
- Complete all paperwork and closing duties in accordance with departmental standards.
- Respond to all pages in a prompt manner.
- Ensure that all bars are secure when not open for business.
- Successful completion of the training/certification process.
- Complete and direct scheduled inventories.
- Attend designated meetings, menu and wine tastings.
- Assist in the interview process for Banquet Servers and Set Up applicants.
- Assist with the development of planned special events and bar promotions; prepare and distribute monthly calendar for Gibson Lounge entertainment.
- Develop training manuals.
- Maintain paperwork and data imput.
- Complete departmental filing.
How to Apply
Download an application for employment in PDF format and fax it back to us at 801-258-6010. All applications must be completed in full before being considered for a position with Grand America Hotels & Resorts. You can also email your resume and a completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org. To apply in person please visit our Employment Center, Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Grand America Employment Center
520 South State Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Please enter at 520 South State Street (this is the door just left of the receiving and delivery entrance).
Processing time of applications can take up to four weeks, depending on the position that you have applied for. Only those who are selected by a department manager to receive an interview will be contacted (all applicants who are not contacted may reapply at any time). All inquiries should be made directly to the employment center; please do not attempt to contact a member of management or human resources.
All employees of The Grand & Little America Hotels must be able to work SATURDAYS, SUNDAYS and HOLIDAYS.
All new hires will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen.