The Grand America Hotel, the flagship hotel of Grand America Hotels and Resorts, has been committed to excellence and customer service since the original Little America opened in 1934. In an effort to maintain our high level of quality and service while increasing the sustainability of our operations, we have implemented the following environmental procedures and green initiatives.
- In-room auto-adjusted thermostats recognize, through our property management system, when rooms are vacant and adjust the temperature to a setback mode to conserve energy.
- We have replaced incandescent lightbulbs in certain areas of the hotel with energy-efficient LED lightbulbs.
- Since 2004, Grand and Little America Hotels have participated in Rocky Mountain Power’s Energy Efficiency Program. The hotels have achieved an annual energy consumption reduction of 5,739,486 kilowatt-hours, which is enough saved energy to power approximately 575 averaged-sized homes.
- We use a commercial-grade trash compactor to save landfill space.
- Our offices and business center have established a paper recycling program, and we also recycle paper products such as newspapers, magazines, cardboard boxes and other paper waste from guest rooms.
- We offer guests an optional reusable amenity program to reduce waste.
- We minimize paper waste by using glass and china tableware and linen tablecloths and napkins in guest rooms, banquet facilities and restaurants.
- All restaurant and banquet facilities use reusable condiment dishes, reducing container and food waste.
- All public-area restrooms are equipped with sensor faucets and toilets to minimize water flow.
- Our guest rooms have featured low-flow in-room showerheads (2.5 gallons per minute) since 2008.
- We offer guests an optional reusable room linen program to conserve water.
- Our on-site laundry facility allows us to monitor and control water usage.
Environmentally Preferred Cleaning Supplies
- Our cleaning supplies, purchased from Eco-Logic Solutions, are biodegradable and more environmentally friendly than standard chemicals.
Other Sustainability Measures
- We will provide tailored sustainable solutions for events upon request.
- Our lobby floral arrangements are rearranged after use and taken to nursing homes by volunteers.
- Some departments have implemented a four-day workweek to reduce energy costs, pollution and fuel use.
- The front desk has reduced paper and toner use by half by no longer requiring guests to sign two receipts.
- Other departments have cut copy paper use in half by printing double-sided.